DESPITE TV, video games and all the other benefits of modern life, nine-year-old Beau Reeves would have loved to grow up in the time of his grandfather.
New statistics from the Australian Bureau of Statistics suggests the generation gap is widening but in some respects Beau and his grandfather Fred couldn't be more similar.
Fred couldn't imagine growing up any time other than the '50s.
"When you've lived in those times, it's very hard to transpose yourself into these times," he said.
Beau didn't seem to have any difficulties imagining life in the fifties, pointing out there were "a lot less rules back then".
"I reckon back then it would have been a bit better," he said.
"It would have been good because you would have had to learn to do other things apart from just watching TV.
"Living on a farm would have been awesome."
As a child Fred couldn't think of anything he would like to be more than a photographer and was fortunate enough to live out his dream in the Royal Australian Air Force.
He said that was one of the biggest differences faced by kids growing up today.
"You could just choose a career path and do it back then," he said.
"I don't think the kids can do that these days."
The ABS stats highlighted things like religion and country of birth as key areas where the generations differed.
Neither Fred nor Beau is religious and both were born in Australia, but there are other ways they differ.
"We had a very simple life," Fred said. "The things that we did usually happened around the farm."
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT YOUR GENERATION?
Birthplace: Redcliffe, QLD
Sports: Martial arts, athletics
Interests: Drama, animals, TV, computer games
Birthplace: Warragul, VIC
Sports: Aussie Rules
Interests: Fishing, photography
- Neat and tidy highset home that has been built to last - Comprising of 3 bedrooms with polished floors throughout - Clean and compact renovated kitchen with...
- Highly motivated vendors committed to selling on or before Auction day - Charming colonial style home oozes potential, 5 bedrooms - Positioned on a 3438sqm block...
- Serious sellers are moving on, secure a piece of Sunshine Coast paradise - Presents as new, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & generous home office - Extensive array of...
- Four good size bedrooms all with built in robes - Well designed to suit low maintenance block - The plan is open and free flowing throughout - Centrally...
- Wake up with the water at your front door, this won't last long - Invest with confidence with future growth assured from this location - Stunning ocean views...
- Serious sellers are moving on. Entry level buying in Kuluin - Comfortable tiled living & dining areas with a modern flair feel - Stunning kitchen with vast...
- Architecturally designed home with spacious open plan - Main house complete with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Fully self contained 2 bedroom guest house with...
- Beach front resort with great returns cash flow positive - Stunning ocean views from every angle never to be built out - Designer 2 pac kitchen with ample bench...
- 5 years old, stylish modern family home - 4 spacious bedrooms all with built ins and ceiling fans - Master bedroom complete with walk in robe and ensuite - Great...
This is one that you will compare all the others too. A standout home that is a must to inspect to fully appreciate what it has to offer. -Dual living...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.