ONCE your toddlers start crawling and walking it is important to ensure your home is a safe environment for them to explore.
Stairs, sharp corners, cupboards, drawers and power points are all potential hazards for your active child but a few easy to install products can make your home a safe haven for children.
Bunnings’ national hardware and safety buyer Paul Bailey said the store had a wide range of budget-friendly child safety products to ensure little ones remained safe and sound.
“Any precaution that can be put in place to reduce the risk of child accidents and injuries is a good thing,” he said.
“At Bunnings we have more than 80 child safety products that would suit all areas of the house. Things like child gates, cupboard latches, door latches and furniture anchors.
“These can be used on items like a plasma TV to stop it falling on the little ones. It’s a good way to attach it to the wall.”
1. Child safety gate – Constructed for easy operation, this safety gate will prevent your child from accessing hazardous stairs and rooms that are out of bounds. Designed to close automatically.
2. Child safety gate – Made from UV resistant material, this retractable gate is suitable for doorways, hallways, top or bottom of staircases, and is suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Able to stretch up to 140cm wide, the gate is fully retractable.
3. Flexi lock stainless – Ensure sharp objects are locked away in drawers and cupboards. The 12cm stainless steel flexi lock works to secure household cabinets, appliances and cupboards. Includes two locks.
4. Multipurpose latch – Cabinets and fridge doors are a hazard for curious toddlers on the move as they risk accidentally slamming their fingers. Multipurpose latches will give you peace of mind that your child’s fingers are safe.
5. Door cushion – Easy to install, the door cushion fits most standard doors and prevents children’s fingers being jammed in doors.
6. Child safety flat screen TV straps - Having a flat screen television is great to watch but if not mounted properly it becomes a hazard that could easily topple over. Such accidents can easily be prevented by installing these simple straps.
7. Magnetic lock system – Prevent your child from accessing dangerous objects by installing a magnetic lock system only visible on the inside of the drawer or cabinet.
8. Corner protectors – Sharp table and bench corners are often at a toddler’s head height and are a common hazard. Soften sharp edges by installing easy to use plastic corner protectors. Includes four corner protectors.
9. Keyed outlet plugs – The keyed outlet plugs provide extra protection for your children from hurting themselves, or placing unwanted objects into outlet plugs.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.