COOLUM residents who thought the CBD and beachfront were protected by a three-storey development limit got a surprise this week.
When long-time resident Olwyn Ball went to the Sunshine Coast Council's draft planning scheme information display at Coolum last weekend, she was told there was no longer a storey limit for the Coolum area, "only a 12m height limit".
Ms Ball who, as an executive member of the Point Arkwright Environment and Progress Association, could be considered well informed on local development issues, was shocked.
She said a 12m height limit could mean anything.
"According to the town planner, given the right land and building design, five storeys could be approved by council within that height limit.
"Do you want to see a stretch of buildings similar to the 'SurfAir' strip all through the above areas, particularly close to the sea?"
The former school teacher said the "new, young town planner" was unaware of the history of the battles the local community fought in the 1980s and '90s for a three-storey limit.
Ms Ball urged residents to make a submission to the council by December 14 to "help retain this storey limit and the height limit".
A council spokeswoman confirmed the new draft planning scheme included a 12m height limit for new developments in Coolum.
"At the moment, under the Maroochy Plan 2000, the height is measured both in metres and storeys," she said.
"There are provisions in the plan which state that the maximum building height is three storeys, and then, in brackets, it has 'but not more than 12m'.
"Under the draft Sunshine Coast planning scheme we're not setting the maximum building height in storeys so the Coolum area is measured in metres."
The spokeswoman said the absolute height limit would be 12m which was "consistent with what is currently in the Maroochy plan".
"Metres is more of an absolute measurement of height," she said.
A development application more than 12m in height would be impact assessable, which meant it would need to be advertised and people given the opportunity to make submissions.
Draft Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2012
Submissions may be made:
online at sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au;
by emailing email@example.com;
or at the council's Customer Service Centres.
Submissions may also be posted to:
Sunshine Coast Regional Council
Draft Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme
Reply Paid 84374
SUNSHINE COAST MC QLD 4560
A properly made submission must state the name and address of each person making the submission, the grounds of the submission and the facts and circumstances relied
All written submissions must also be signed by each person making the submission.
Submissions must be received by the council no later than 4.30pm on Friday, December 14.
The scheme can be viewed online at sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/draftSCplanningscheme, or at the Maroochydore display centre: Pacific Place, 11-13 Ocean St.
- Stunning 3 bedroom beach front unit with panoramic views - Master bedroom complete with built in robes and spa bath - Designer 2 pac kitchen with ample bench and...
- This adorable property is priced to sell today - North Lakes best buy on offer. Seller is 100% committed to selling - Outstanding entry level buying, would make...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxury two-way bathroom with spa bath - Spectacular beach and ocean views overlooking the Main Beach to Bribie & Moreton Islands ...
- 3 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite with spa bath plus large main bathroom - Spacious living & dining areas - 2 large balconies with breathtaking panoramic views of the...
- With genuine reasons for sale the home represents outstanding value - Quality & elevated 4 bedroom home with sparkling ocean views - Cleverly designed & split...
- One of the best renovations you will come across - Thoughtfully designed with flair and craftsmanship - Comprising of four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Theater...
- Architecturally designed home with spacious open plan - Main house complete with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Fully self contained 2 bedroom guest house with...
- 2 bedrooms - Luxury ensuite with spa bath - Large balcony with spectacular ocean views - Spacious living & dining areas - Fully furnished - Ducted...
- Neat and tidy highset home that has been built to last - Comprising of 3 bedrooms with polished floors throughout - Clean and compact renovated kitchen with...
- 1 bedroom penthouse - Luxury bathroom - Balcony with magnificent views, overlooking the Pumicestone Passage towards Golden Beach and the Glasshouse Mountains ...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.