FOOD intolerance is a hidden cause of weight gain, says fitness and nutrition expert JJ Virgin.
She says "healthy" foods, from egg white omelette to non-fat yoghurt, can cause a host of nasty symptoms including gas, bloating, skin issues, fatigue, headaches, achy joints and stubborn weight gain.
In her new book, The Virgin Diet, she tells you how to stop counting kilojoules and find a diet for life.
Top on the list of foods she says are most likely to cause food intolerance: gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, corn, peanuts, sugar and artificial sweeteners.
Typical symptoms of food sensitivity, says JJ, include digestive trouble, sleep issues, congestion, muscle aches and joint pain, dark circles under eyes, dull hair, skin problems, mood problems, poor or unsteady energy, weight gain and premature ageing.
"Food intolerance produces a host of symptoms, which is bad enough. But it also causes a number of interrelated problems.
"One of those problems is inflammation.
"The four classic inflammatory responses are redness, heat, pain and swelling.
"These reactions occur inside your body too when a food triggers an immune reaction."
To reduce inflammation, JJ suggests that instead of consuming inflammatory fats from processed foods, corn, soy, dairy and eggs, you switch to anti-inflammatory fats from wild fish, raw nuts and seeds and olive oil.
"And make sure to avoid damaged fats: any oil that is rancid, refined or hydrogenated (trans fats)."
She also suggests getting rid of sugar, artificial sweeteners and high-glycemic foods.
"Sweet and starchy foods raise blood sugar, which raises insulin which leads to inflammation."
JJ says genetically modified foods are best avoided.
"They can disrupt your healthy gut flora, trigger and immune response and create inflammation."
Lastly JJ suggests you ditch the seven food most likely to cause adverse reactions.
Do you have digestive problems?
JJ recommends these healing supplements:
- Aged garlic extract, an anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antifungal and antimicrobial powerhouse (1 to 3 caps a day).
- Glutamine (1 to 10 grams per day, depending on severity).
- Ginger, an antioxidant that reduces inflammation and supports gut healing (30 to 50 mg per day).
- Quercetin, a natural antihistamine and antioxidant (100mg a day).
- Coconut milk, rich in yeast-killing caprylic acid aloe vera juice.
- Freshly ground flaxseed meal, which contains a gluey substance that soothes and exalts the gut as well as omega-3s to reduce inflammation.
- Apples, which contain pectins to heal the gut.
- Red onions, which are rich in quercetin.
Whether you're looking to secure a neat and comfortable family home with plenty of yard space for the outdoor coastal lifestyle, or you want to capitalise on a...
Owners have now relocated and we are instructed to sell. Sensational parcel of level land in a quiet location on 4000m2. Light filled open plan living, with raked...
Nestled in Black Mountain and only 5 minutes from the quaint Hinterland Town of Cooroy lies this fully useable 20 plus acre lifestyle property. Fully fenced and...
Owned by one of Noosa's historic families for nearly 60 years, this magnificent block with panoramic views over Lake Doonella is reluctantly being relinquished. ...
Located in the iconic Skippers Cove beachfront resort at Noosaville This gorgeous plantation style townhouse overlooks the sparkling resort pools A very generous...
- Recently renovated and extended to capture pretty Noosa River views - Private Balcony overlooking the Noosa River - This stylish townhouse offers lifestyle and...
- Wake up with the water at your front door, this won't last long - Invest with confidence with future growth assure from this location - Stunning ocean views...
Located right in the heart of Greenwood Grove estate and walking distance to town this fabulous property has a lot to offer. Great open plan living with plenty of...
This is one location where a car is definitely not necessary!! If you are a lover of nature and revel in the beauty of our fabulous Lake Doonella or simply...
Are you looking for a solid investment that you can either develop now and reap the immediate benefits or enjoy the charm and ambiance that this charismatic...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.