ACCORDING to community nutritionist Christine Sorbello, a good breakfast, fresh fruit and vegetables and a serve or two of fish each week are all important for healthy brain development in kids.
"One of the most important things to do is have breakfast. It doesn't matter if it's cereal, or fruit and toast," Mrs Sorbello said.
"It's important to make sure they're eating fruit and vegetables to get all those vitamins and minerals."
Mrs Sorbello said carbohydrate-rich foods helped create energy to fuel active, young minds.
"Carbohydrate foods provide energy for your brain, things like wholegrain bread, pasta and rice," she said.
"Three meals plus snacks is pretty important for kids because they do use a lot of energy and it gives them that sustained energy."
Fish, which is rich in Omega 3, can help with both brain development and healthy daily functioning.
But Mrs Sorbello said including enough fish in the diet didn't have to break the bank, with cheaper options providing just as many benefits.
"Getting fish into your kids' diet is important, getting in one or two serves a week," she said.
"A tin of tuna has the same healthy oils (as more expensive fish) that are good for brain development."
Mrs Sorbello warned against mums and dads getting caught up in quick options for their children's snacks.
"Items that parents see as being convenient are not that great. Convenience, or perception of convenience can be a bit of a downfall for parents," she said.
Mrs Sorbello said it was possible to make easy switches to healthier options.
"An apple is just as convenient as a muesli bar or packet of chips," she said.
SWAP IT, DON'T STOP IT
Swapit.gov.au has plenty of suggestions for swapping unhealthy foods for healthy and nutritious alternatives:
- Ice-cream and topping > low-fat yoghurt with berries
- Cheese platter > fresh fruit platter
- Meat pizza > vegetarian pizza with low-fat cheese
- Butter on sandwiches > avocado
- Butter on potatoes > low-fat yoghurt
- Chocolate bar > small low fat chocolate milk
- Milk chocolate > small portion of dark chocolate
- Side of chips > side of salad
- Tuna in oil > tuna in spring water
- Baking with white flour > baking with wholemeal flour
- Ice blocks > pieces of frozen fruit
- Soft drinks > plain mineral water with lemon juice
This immaculately presented three bedroomed brick lowset under Colourbond roof is conveniently situated close to Woombye village centre and is without a doubt one...
In this 9th floor apartment you can not only experience 180 deg views of the ocean but right down to the sand. With east, north east aspect it ensures summer...
Centrally located in the heart of the Golden Triangle, this striking building offers two luxurious house sized apartments - the perfect alternative for a house!
First time being released to the market is this first floor residential apartment sitting in an iconic building with ocean views. Nothing about this property...
This elegant family home located on a corner block in a coveted pocket of Buderim within walking distance to some of the Coast's best schools, offers an enviable...
Within 10 minutes drive to Caloundra CBD is this home which is set on a 2,373 sqm block. Unfortunate circumstances have forced this sale so here's your chance to...
Westaway Towers is perched high above sea level and set on nearly 3/4 of an acre with tropical gardens, water features, swimming pool and several entertaining...
This generous sized family home needs to be sold. The owners have had to move suddenly for work commitments. Requires a little TLC to restore it to its brilliant...
- Seller has made the tough decision to sell creating wonderful opportunity - Presents as brand new, 3 bedrooms, 2 stylish bathrooms & powder room - Stunning...
- Tough decision made, owners say sell creating an amazing opportunity - Immaculately presented home, 3 large bedrooms & 2 bathrooms - Quality brick & tile build...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.