SARAH Gray is helping to organise a trivia night next Saturday but the reason for the event is anything but trivial.
The Christmas in July trivia night at the Pacific Paradise State School aims to raise funds for research into a rare, incurable disease afflicting Sarah’s young daughter, Bella.
Eosinophilic eosophagitis is one of a group of conditions known as eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorders, which occur when eosinophils, a type of white blood cell, are found in above-normal amounts within the gastrointestinal tract.
When eosinophils accumulate in the gut in response to food and/or airborne allergens they can cause inflammation and tissue damage.
Bella’s condition was not diagnosed correctly until she was 18 months old.
For the next six years her primary source of nutrition was drinking an elemental formula, Neocate.
Bella has an anaphylactic reaction to egg, fish and dairy, and suffers from asthma and eczema.
She has several other food allergies including wheat, corn and soy.
As she became older it proved difficult for her to ingest the required amount of formula to grow.
Earlier this year the decision was made to have a gastrostomy feeding device, which Bella calls her tummy tube.
She now receives her nutrition overnight via a pump in two continuous five-hour feeds of 450ml each.
Sarah said that despite some anxiety about her “button”, Bella, who turns eight on July 31, had thrived since the operation
“We have had some small weight gain already,” she said.
“The other thing we’ve noticed is the increase in her energy levels.
“It has been astronomical the difference in her.
“Even though she is still eating only small amounts of food, the 900ml at night just gives her the energy to last the whole day and she wakes up practically jumping out of bed when she used to wake up still tired.”
Frustrated with the lack of research and information about the condition, the Mt Coolum mum launched her own website www.ausee.org and a registered Australia-wide charity, ausEE Inc, offering a support network for anyone diagnosed with, or caring for someone with, an eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorder.
The Pacific Paradise State School P&C, where Bella is a student, and ausEE Inc are jointly hosting next Saturday’s trivia night to raise much-needed money for medical research as well as valuable funds for the school.
It will be held in the school’s brand new, state-of-the-art, multipurpose centre.
Trivia enthusiasts who can not gather a table of six to eight people are also welcome to book.
WHAT: Christmas in July trivia night
WHERE: New Pacific Paradise State School hall
WHEN: Saturday, July 30, 6.30pm for 7pm start
COST: $10 each in teams of 6-8
BOOK: Phone Sarah on 0411 539 369. This is an adults only event, with BYO alcohol permitted.
- 1 bedroom penthouse - Luxury bathroom - Balcony with magnificent views, overlooking the Pumicestone Passage towards Golden Beach and the Glasshouse Mountains ...
- Serious sellers are moving on, secure a piece of Sunshine Coast paradise - Presents as new, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & generous home office - Extensive array of...
- 2 spacious bedrooms - Luxury ensuite plus main bathroom with spa bath - Refurbished with elegance - Spacious living area adjoins a large balcony with sensational...
- Solidly constructed 2 bedroom home - Positioned on a 627m2 block at the end of a cul de sac - You may wish to renovate or rebuild in this prime position - Newly...
- Designed with thought and quality - Comprising of 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - Centrally located kitchen with granite bench tops - Open plan with three separate...
- Positioned on an elevated battle axe block of 1013 sqm - Comprising of 5 good size bedrooms 2 of which have ensuites - Ocean views can be enjoyed whilst relaxing...
Situated just an easy stroll to choice of two beaches and Caloundra CBD is this top floor furnished apartment with investment and lifestyle options galore. With...
- 1 spacious bedroom - Luxurious bathroom plus spa bath - Magnificent views of Pumicestone Passage, Bribie Island, Caloundra City & the ocean from a spacious...
- Wonderful for any investment portfolio or entry level buying - Stylish modern home featuring 4 large bedrooms & 2 bathrooms - Modern Kitchen, lots of storage &...
You won't get a better opportunity to enter the market. This is entry level living in a convenient location. Immaculately presented with nothing to do but move in.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.