A LAST minute attempt by opponents to stop the Repco Rally failed late yesterday when the Federal Court dismissed the application for an injunction, ruling it was 'without merit'.
Tweed councillor Katie Milne, represented by Al Oshlack from the Indigenous Justice Advocacy Network, applied for an injunction from the court to prevent the rally on the grounds it would significantly harm a number of endangered species.
Speaking from Sydney yesterday, Mr Oshlack said Federal Court Justice Margaret Stone had said their evidence was inadmissible.
“We couldn't present our case without being able to present our evidence,” Mr Oshlack said.
“We are disappointed, but it is not over yet.”
Mr Oshlack said a separate matter relating to the rally would now be pursued through the Land and Environment Court.
While Mr Oshlack was in the Federal Court, senior custodian of the Githabul, Doug Williams, was in an emergency meeting in Sydney with the NSW Minister for Lands Tony Kelly and the NSW Motor Racing Authority.
It had been reported in the media Mr Williams was claiming he had not given the rally permission to hold the event and was threatening to apply for a court injunction to have it stopped.
Yesterday afternoon a spokesperson for the Mr Kelly said the outcome of the meeting had been very positive, but would not reveal the outcome.
Chairman of the Repco Rally Chris Connolly said he was not surprised the judge had found the case was without merit.
“We have always complied with all laws and have spent a lot of time and effort to achieve the highest environmental standards,” he said.
Mr Connelly said that Rally Australia would now continue working to bring a world class event to the Northern Rivers from September 3 to 6.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.