News

Cat suspected to have caused hinterland house fire

UPDATE: A fire which has caused extensive damage to a Beerwah home may have been sparked by the family cat.

Queensland Fire and Emergency Services arrived at the home on Argus Ct this afternoon to find the front bedroom of the home fully engulfed in flames.

QFES Acting Inspector Caloundra command Geoff Hunter said the quick response from crews had prevented the rest of the home from going up in flames.

"On their arrival the fire was well involved in the bedroom and hence they used the bigger hose line to attack it externally," he said.

"After that they were able to gain entry through the front entrance here and do a primary and secondary search and confirm that all occupants were out of the building."

Acting Inspector Hunter said the family was in "fairly good spirits" despite the devastating circumstances.

"It was a really quick response by the crew and they were able to knock it down and contain it (fire) to that front bedroom and to stop it spreading through the house," he said.

"There is a lot of smoke damage at the rear, obviously the bedroom has been fully involved so there's nothing salvageable in there but they're (family) in fairly good spirits."

He said the fire was believed to have been caused by a candle, which the family suspected had been knocked over by their cat.  

"At this stage we are unable to confirm, but suspect that it was a candle burning in the front room on the left-hand side," he said.

"Candles, they do cause a lot of fires, I've been to quite a few and if unattended you have the possibility of the wind knocking them over or in this case they said that maybe the cat has been in the room and nudged it over.

"So, it's probably not a good idea to leave candles at all inside the building unattended."

 

BREAKING: Firefighters are battling a blaze that broke out at a hinterland home this afternoon. 

Crews at the scene on Argus Ct, Beerwah, arrived to a structure engulfed in flames. 

A spokeswoman for Queensland Fire and Emergency Services said firefighters in breathing apparatus were working to extinguish the blaze. 

It's understood the fire broke out just after 1.30pm. 

Argus Ct, Beerwah.
Argus Ct, Beerwah. Google Maps

Topics:  beerwah fire house fire qfes


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

HEATWAVE: Qld towns will top 40°C as state swelters

Ashleigh Blake and Sophie Davis from Currumbin go for an early morning surf. Picture: Nigel Hallett

"Please make sure you keep your eyes on little kids."

Coolum blaze: Investigators can't rule out human involvement

BLAZING: Firefighters battled for days to protect properties and bring the Coolum bushfire under control.

Devastating blaze started with three fires: investigator

Why Coolum homes were left in the dark last night

Power pole.

Nearly 1000 homes shrouded in darkness

Local Partners