A seven-year-old, believed to be the son of Australian jihadist Khaled Sharrouf, holds the severed head of a Syrian soldier beside the caption, 'That's my boy!'
A seven-year-old, believed to be the son of Australian jihadist Khaled Sharrouf, holds the severed head of a Syrian soldier beside the caption, 'That's my boy!'

Sydney jihadist's son poses with severed head

A PHOTO of a seven-year-old boy holding the severed head of his father's enemy is likely to strengthen any plans to ensure Australia is protected from citizens returning following their involvement in the bloody Syrian conflict.

Australian jihadist Khaled Sharrouf has posted an image to Twitter showing his young son holding up a decapitated head with the message, "That's my boy!"

Mr Sharrouf, currently fighting for an Islamic State, fled Australia last year with the Australian Federal Police in pursuit.

He is wanted by the AFP for crimes committed both in Syria and Iraq.

Less than a week ago, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said those who leave Australia to sign up for military action in a foreign war would face arrest and jail.

"We do not want Australians going abroad to fight in other people's wars - we do not," he said.

"We do not want it done and if you do it - you are doing wrong and you will suffer the consequences."


Free access to military records on Remembrance Day

Free access to military records on Remembrance Day

Survey shows growing gap in knowledge of November 11 importance

Warning as temperatures continue to soar

Warning as temperatures continue to soar

Emergency services on high alert for heat-related sicknesses

The $187 mistake you’ll make today

The $187 mistake you’ll make today

"It’s easy to forget about the cost of keeping cool, especially on a 35C day."

Local Partners